Mich Turner has been running the Little Venice Cake Company since 1999. Her stunning new book, Mich Turner’s Cake School, Expert tuition from the Master Cake Maker, has just been published. Its full of beautiful pictures of cakes, her favourite cake recipes and some very useful baking tips.
Get it for £20.50 from Amazon (free delivery over £25 or Amazon Prime), £19.99 from Lakeland (you can collect in store or free delivery over £30) or or for £22.50 from The Book People (free delivery over £25)
I went along to a cake decorating masterclass and she shared some top tips on getting cakes baked perfectly.
- Always use room temperature eggs and butter
- Make sure you cream the butter an sugar well, up to 15 minutes. (you can’t over cream)
- Whisk the eggs well and add it to the cake batter gradually or it won’t be mixed well and the cake will be quite dense when baked
- Use a metal spoon or rubber spatula to add in the flour, never a wooden spoon
- Butter cream can keep for up to a month in the fridge
Mich says that you don’t need a lot of fancy equipment to make impressive looking cakes. She demonstrated how to put together this gorgeous cake that is in her new book.
Mich Turner’s Raspberry and Rose Ombre Cake
Here is her demonstration in Step By Step pictures.
- 2 six inch vanilla sponges were baked as the base for this cake, using an 8 inch sponge recipe.
- This just take a basic buttercream made with unrefined icing sugar (Silver Spoon).
- She then adds her raspberry coulis and rose essence to naturally colour the cream.
- 3 layers of butter cream roses are piped on to decorate the cake, starting with the darkest pink a the bottom and a slightly pink cream on the top. This was surprisingly easy to pipe and the effect is quite stunning. I had a a go at the piping and if I can do it, anyone can.
- You can easily create something similar and vary the cake, colours and flavourings to your liking.
Her new book, Mich Turner’s Cake School, has a big section on ingredients, equipment and baking tips. The next part has a lot of beautiful cake pictures and recipes for cakes like an Orange Chiffon cake. On the cover is a very low fat Strawberry Chiffon Cake and an Italian meringue icing. It looks stunning and is quite low calorie too.
You can get her book and her Little Venice Cake Company cake making kits on Amazon. Get the new book for £20.50 from Amazon (free delivery over £25 or Amazon Prime), £19.99 from Lakeland (you can collect in store or free delivery over £30) or or for £22.50 from The Book People (free delivery over £25)